Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Out of the mouths...


 It's quiet time at our house and the little ones are napping in advance of this evenings adventure in Little League. I'm sitting here next to my elder daughter who is working on a Winnie the Pooh puzzle. She's being very, very quiet, which doesn't happen often, and then out of nowhere she asks me, is Piglet a pig? I tell her yes. Then she says, why doesn't he make a honking sound? why does he talk? I explain something about the nature of cartoon characters vs. real farm animals. She giggles, her tone is "ah, of course" and continues her puzzle in silence.

Then she says, what do bears do? I've moved on and am reading something, so it takes me a second or two to realise she's talking about Pooh. I say, you mean real bears? They do stuff in the woods, catch salmon to eat, that kind of thing. Yep, she says triumphantly, fish and honey, that's what they like. And red t-shirts with no pants.

Disney has a lot to answer for.




3 comments:

(no_ordinary_girl) said...

Your Kid Is SOOOO Cute!!!

briwei said...

Well, Smokey the Bear doesn't wear pants ether. Of course, he doesn't like red shirts.

Maggie said...

And yet, adults still have trouble with "can Lois understand Stewie," and of course there's always "Why can Goofy talk but Pluto can't," and I think the answer is that we need to take each cartoon character on its own terms. Interesting.